Killeen Car Accident Lawyer
Legal Representation for Injured Killeen Car Crash Victims
Free Consultation with a Killeen Car Accident Lawyer
Killeen is seeing an increase in the number of car accidents reported every year. We know that if you’ve been in a Killeen car crash, your life can change in a split second, whether it’s because of another driver’s failure to pay attention, failure to follow posted signs or choice to drive under the influence. A car accident can have lasting effects on your ability to live a happy and fulfilled life, but a good Killeen car accident lawyer will understand your losses and help start you on the road to recovery.
Every day, our local first responders see many different types of car accidents. Some are minor and do not leave much damage to the people or property involved. Others are major and can cause severe injury or death to those involved. If you or a loved one has sustained personal injuries from a Killeen car crash, it is important you discuss your situation with a car accident lawyer right away. As a victim, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, pain, suffering and future medical procedures.
A Killeen car accident attorney at The Carlson Law Firm can help you prove the other driver is at fault. Our team of attorneys, nurses, and investigators will take a detailed look at your case. We will help you every step of the way through the physical and financial recovery process. Contact our team today for a free consultation.
Common Car Crash Injuries in Killeen
Auto accidents can cause harm to nearly every part of the body. The type of crash and the severity of the impact determine the severity of those injuries. Common car accident injuries include:
- Head: eye injuries, partial vision loss, concussion, facial or jaw fractures and dental injuries
- Neck and back: whiplash, strained muscles, and disk injuries
- Abdominal: hip fractures and injuries to abdominal organs including the live, spleen and kidneys
- Leg and knee: bruises, fractures, and meniscus tears
- Feet: ankles, feet, and toes can be strained, sprained or broken
- Catastrophic injuries: auto accidents are the leading cause of catastrophic personal injuries. These injuries typically have a life-long effect.
The injuries from a car accident are endless. It is essential to seek medical attention right away—even if you do not believe you’re injured. A doctor will diagnose the type and extent of any injuries or confirm that no injuries occurred.
Types of Auto Accidents Handled We Handle in Killeen
We’ve been representing car accident victims for over 40 years. Contact us to set up a free consultation with a highly-skilled Killeen car accident lawyer. We can handle a variety of auto accident cases. One of our attorneys can help you if you’ve been involved in one of the following accidents:
Cars vs. Bicycle
Bikers have every right to use the roadway just as much as motor vehicles. Devastating consequences can occur when negligent motorists fail to observe the rights of bicyclists and pedestrians. A Killeen car accident lawyer will fight for the victims of bicycle accidents.
Cars vs. Motorcycle
Motorcycle accidents often lead to deadlier accidents when involved with passenger cars. Even with it’s “Share the Road” campaign, Texas Department of Transportation reports that 493 riders lost their lives and 2,006 were seriously injured in 2016. Car and truck collisions are responsible for nearly half of all motorcycle accidents. Drivers may not see, or misjudge how close the motorcycle is and the speed it’s traveling.
Commercial or Company Vehicle Accidents
A commercial or company vehicle is a car, van, truck or bus that is owned and operated by a company to be used by employees or agents of that company. Commercial vehicle accidents occur while employees are doing work assigned duties; such as, carrying work equipment, hauling goods or transporting passengers. These incidents may also arise during work-related employee transportation.
Research indicates that it takes 27 seconds for driving to regain a motorist’s full attention after using a cellphone or other device in a vehicle. TxDOT reports that distracted driving accidents account for 100,000 crashes on Texas roads. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recognizes three types of distracted driving.
Visual: taking your eyes off the road
Manual: taking your hands off the wheel
Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving
A Killeen car accident lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm can assist you in proving the other driver was at fault because of distracted driving.
Drunk Driving Accidents
It is illegal to get behind the wheel of a car with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher. Alcohol in your system impairs the ability to safely operate a vehicle. Every year, drunk driving puts nearly 112 million people at risk because of poor decisions and dangerous habits. For innocent people in Killeen, another’s person’s choice to drive drunk can carry lifelong consequences.
Hit and Run Accidents
Some of the most tragic types of accidents our car accident attorneys handle are accidents involve the driver leaving the scene. Texas laws require individuals to stay at the scene and exchange information until law enforcement and ambulances arrive. It is normal to experience anxiety surrounding the claims and investigation process, especially when there is difficulty locating the other driving. Fortunately, you still have a chance to take legal action.
While any car wreck can have potentially devastating effects, a multi-vehicle crash tends to be particularly catastrophic. A chain reaction, or pile-up accident, involves three or more cars. Many times, these types of accidents result in serious injuries for all parties involved. Pile-up accidents raise complex legal issues when determining who is at fault for the wreck and holding them accountable.
Sidewalks and crosswalks should be safe places for Killeen pedestrians to walk and jog. Unfortunately, negligent drivers fail to observe the rights of pedestrians, leading to serious accidents. If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, contact us to speak with a skilled Killeen car accident lawyer for a free consultation. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM) Motorists
Roughly 14 percent of Texas drivers are uninsured; however, it’s nearly impossible to put a number on the number of underinsured drivers on Texas roads. These policies you and any household family member riding in any car as well as any non-family members riding in your insured automobile.
Rear End Collisions
A rear-end collision is among the most common types of car crashes that occur on Texas roadways. Rear-end crashes happen when the front bumper of one vehicle strikes the back end of another. Informally called fender benders, these collisions are common where the roads are congested.
A car clipped at just the right angle can go into a spin and roll over. Rollover and roof crush accident can happen to any vehicle. However, studies and years of litigation have shown that some vehicles have an unreasonably high tendency to roll over, even under normal driving conditions.
Drivers who speed neglect this responsibility and put themselves and others on the roads in danger. Accidents caused by speeding produce some of the most serious and catastrophic car accident injuries due to the sheer high velocity and impact of these crashes.
Auto Accident Negligence
A car accident attorney must establish that the person who caused the wreck was negligent in order for you to collect compensation for your injuries.
What is Negligence and How is it Determined?
Negligence is defined as the failure to use ordinary care or failing to do what a person of ordinary prudence would have done under the same or similar circumstances.
In order to win a negligence case, the injured party can count on an experienced Killeen car accident lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm to prove four points to show that a person at fault acted negligently:
- Duty- The defendant owed a legal duty to the plaintiff under the circumstances.
- Breach- The defendant breached that legal duty by acting or failing to act in a certain way.
- Causation- The defendant’s actions (or inaction) that actually caused the plaintiff’s injury.
- Damages- The defendant’s actions harmed or injured the plaintiff.
What To Do After A Killeen Car Crash
In 2016, nearly 63 percent of Killeen car accidents resulted in some sort of injury. It is important that you know what to do in the unfortunate event you are involved in an accident.
Here are tips from an experienced Carlson Law Firm Killeen car accident lawyer:
- Stay put: During stressful situation, we can sometimes react in ways we wouldn’t normally. Your first reaction may be to leave and help or go somewhere safe. It is a serious crime to leave the scene of a car accident, especially if someone is injured or killed in the crash. In some cases, leaving the scene of a car accident in Texas is considered a failure to render aid, a third degree felony. The situation could also be labeled a hit and run accident.
- Assess the damage: Check the safety of yourself and those around you; it is vital to ensuring all parties involved get the medical attention they need. In addition, make sure you and those affected by the accident stay out of harm’s way of other vehicles that may still be in the vicinity to avoid any additional collisions or pedestrian accidents.
- Call authorities: Calling the police and medical crews will ensure you get the medical care you need ASAP. In addition, be sure to ask that police file a report and take down identification from responding officers, such as badge numbers, etc.
- Watch what you say (and sign): Unexpected situations, like car accidents can leave many of us stressed, causing us to wonder whether or not we could have done something differently to change the situation or end result. Never apologize or sign anything taking responsibility for a Texas car accident until you have consulted an experienced Carlson Law Firm in Killeen car accident lawyer first.
- Gather information: In addition to getting the names and badge number from police officers involved, it’s also important to gather the information from other parties involved in a car collision. Make sure to note the names, contact information and driver’s license number of other drivers, passengers, and even witnesses. Additionally, note the license plate, make and model of the vehicle.
- Collect evidence: New technology has made it possible for those who have been in a Texas auto accident to have access to methods of information collection right at their fingertips. Pictures of your car and the scene of the crash can be an important resource later as you and your accident lawyer highlight the damage endured.
- Get legal assistance: Seeking the advice and representation of a qualified and experienced Killeen car accident lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm is an imperative step to ensuring you safeguard yourself, your family members involved and your property.
How The Carlson Law Firm Can Help
At The Carlson Law Firm, we are a client first firm. From the very moment you contact us, we will show you that you made the right choice. Unexpected injuries can be challenging, and a good car accident lawyer understands this. We are here to help you seek just compensation for your injuries or loss of a loved one. With more than 40 years of experience in personal injury law, our accomplished Texas personal injury lawyers have successfully represented thousands of complex personal injury claims. Contact a Killeen car accident lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm for a free consultation.