Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Free Consultations • Available 24/7
Legal Representation for Killeen Victims of Motorcycle Accidents
Many people mistake Killeen for a small town, however, the city is a hub activity for surrounding cities like Copperas Cove and Harker Heights. Per capita, the city has more vehicle accidents compared to other cities in the area. That said, a Killeen motorcycle accident can happen in the blink of an eye. Motorcycle accidents can lead to severe or fatal injuries. If you or a loved one have suffered from a Killeen motorcycle accident injury, contact The Carlson Law Firm. A free consultation with an expert Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer from our firm.
With more than 40 years of experience helping personal injury victims, we know that no matter how careful you are, you cannot control the actions of other drivers on the road. All over the state, motorcycle accidents causing serious or fatal injuries are on the rise. We understand that the aftermath of a crash involving a motorcycle severely impacts the life of the rider. A Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm can help you get the recovery you deserve.
Facts About Killeen Motorcycle Accidents
Killeen motorcycle accidents can happen for any number of reasons. Left-hand turns are the single most dangerous situations for a motorcyclist. Passenger vehicles making left-hand turns account for 42 percent of all motorcycle accidents that involve a crash. A possible reason for this is because of a motorcycle’s small size. Researchers at Texas Tech University found that the human brain has a harder time accurately perceiving small objects that are close by compared to larger objects that are farther away. This suggests that drivers in cars and truck have a difficult time accurately gauging how far a motorcycle is. Additionally, it may be difficult to judge the motorcyclist’s speed, increasing the chance of an accident.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the division of the U.S. Department of Transportation tasked with road safety, has noted that motorcycle riders are eight times more likely to be injured in a crash. Moreover, riders are 37 times more likely to die in an accident than an occupant of a car in an automobile accident. While the Texas Department of Transport (TxDOT) has the “Share the Road” campaign, warning driver to watch out for motorcyclists, these deadly accidents are still occurring. Our attorneys recognize that passenger vehicles often view motorcyclists different than they do other vehicles. Often times, car and truck drivers don’t respect a motorcycle’s position on the roadways. The Carlson Law Firm has a Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer ready to fight for your justice.
Why do Motorcycle Injuries Happen?
Victims of Killeen motorcycle accidents can receive multiple broken bones, nerve damage, paralysis, head wounds and more. It is important that Killeen motorcycle accident victims get the medical treatment they need. A qualified Killeen motorcycle accident lawyer can help you get the treatment you need. Our firm has the resources and experience to get you the recovery you deserve. Common reasons that bike crashes occur include:
- Driver Error: The most common motorcycle crash occurs when a car turns in front of a bike, hits the motorcyclist while changing lanes, or runs into the biker at a stop light. Common reasons for the driver not seeing the motorcyclist are inattention, distractions, blind spots and that the driver is looking for cars rather than motorcycles. Motorcycles can easily fit into blind spots. Additionally, drivers looking for cars aren’t typically watching out for motorcycles.
- Faulty Equipment: Accidents can happen even when no driver is at fault. Vehicle defects that slip past the manufacturer can cause an accident or faulty safety equipment may fail to protect the travelers the way it should. When products fail and cause harm that should have been avoided, a skilled lawyer may find it necessary to pursue a products liability case.
- Dangerous Conditions. Motorcycle technology has developed over the years to improve rider safety. Many bikes now come equipped with anti-lock braking systems and traction control. These developments still may not eliminate all dangers. Poorly maintained roads, liquids that are leaked or spilled on surfaces, or improperly engineered streets and highways can lead to accidents and injuries.
If you were injured because of the negligence of another driver, contact our firm today. Our teams of attorneys, nurses and private investigators will walk with you on your journey to recovery.
COMMON CAUSES OF MOTORCYCLE CRASHES
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you are not alone. Over 5,000 people are killed each year in motorcycle accidents, and over 100,000 motorcyclists and their passengers are injured. The most common cause of a motorcycle accident is an automobile or truck driver’s failure to yield the right of way to the motorcyclist, especially at an intersection when the motor vehicle is making a left turn in the face of an oncoming motorcycle. Because of their relatively small size, motorcycles may be difficult to see on the road. Other drivers must pay attention to their driving and the road ahead of them and obey all traffic signs and signals. Another common cause of motorcycle accidents is roads with unsafe conditions, either because of potholes or uneven surfaces.
The 10 most common causes of motorcycle accidents are as follows:
- Left Turns. A passenger vehicle that fails to yield to oncoming traffic can have devastating results for motorcyclists. Right-of-way errors occur when a driver misjudges the distance, speed or simply doesn’t see the motorcycle.
- Defects. Defective equipment and poor designs can result in injuries in or death. In these cases, the manufacturer may be liable.
- Lane changes. Motorcycles are much smaller than passenger vehicles. Drivers risk colliding with a motorcyclist when he or she fails to check blind spots for other vehicles, including motorcycles.
- Opened Car Doors. While rare, these types of accident happen when a driver opens the door of their parked vehicle in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Speeding. This is a leading cause of all types of car accidents. Speeding greatly reduces a driver’s chance of seeing and reacting to other drivers. The higher the speed, the less time there is to react to prevent a crash. Speeding leads to greater impact and more severe injuries.
- DUI or DWI. Drinking and driving is illegal. Drivers who were under the influence of alcohol or drugs may face both civil liability and criminal charges.
- Lane Splitting. Lane splitting occurs when a motorcycle rider drives between slow moving or stopped vehicles during a traffic jam. This act can be extremely dangerous to motorcyclists, particularly inexperienced drivers.
- Sudden Stops. Rear-ending can result in very serious injuries to motorcycles. The abrupt stop can throw cyclists from their bikes resulting in life-changing injuries or death.
- Inexperienced Drivers. Young drivers or those new to driving can make unpredictable and unsafe moves on the road. These moves can affect the safety of motorcyclists in the area.
- Dangerous road conditions. Poorly maintained roads with potholes or debris can lead to a motorcycle crash. Additionally, a lack of traffic signs or signals can increase a rider’s chances of losing control of the vehicle.
A Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer from the Carlson Law Firm can help you get the recovery you deserve. Contact our firm today for a free consultation. We are available 24/7.
Common Bike Crash Injuries
Unlike most passenger vehicles, motorcycles don’t come equipped with airbags or other safety features intended to prevent injuries. Because you are completely exposed on a motorcycle, you can suffer severe injuries to any part of your body in an accident. Injuries to the legs and feet account for 30 percent of all motorcycle injuries, while head and neck injuries make up 22 percent injuries.
Below are more of the most common types of injuries that riders experience:
- Broken bones; dislocations
- Skull fracture
- Amputation injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis; quadriplegia; paraplegia
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Nerve damage
- Chronic pain
- Lacerations, road burn, scarring, and disfigurement
If you are living with any of the above injuries, or are a surviving family member of a motorcycle accident, contact our firm to speak with a Killeen motorcycle accident lawyer.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER A KILLEEN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
Accidents can be extremely confusing and scary. Even if a rider takes proper precaution such as wearing a helmet, a rider and their passenger can still be severely injured or killed. However, if you survive a Killeen Motorcycle Accident and you are physically able, you should do the following:
- Check For Injuries: If you are able to move make sure everyone is alright, and if need be, receives medical attention. If there are any injuries, call 911 immediately.
- Get out of the Roadway: Whenever possible, move all vehicles off the road to a safe location. Use hazard lights, flares, or warning triangles to alert any oncoming traffic.
- Gather Information. Exchange information with other drivers involved. Get the name, address, phone number, insurance information, and license numbers for all drivers. Note plate numbers, car make and models, and description.
- Call the Cops: If anyone is injured or if there is any substantial property damage call the police. The police report can be vital in your efforts to recover for damage to your bike, clothing, or for injuries – many of which may not become evident for hours, or even days after an accident.
- Take Note of Surroundings: This may be difficult depending upon how seriously you may be hurt, but try to take notice of important information about the accident. This includes where, when, and how. Specifically, try to take note of the location of the accident, road conditions, speed limits, weather, lighting, the direction of travel any vehicles involved.
- Talk To Witnesses: Again, this depends on how badly you have been injured. If reasonably possible, try to interview all witnesses. Record their comments either at the scene of the accident or as soon as possible. Memories quickly fade; get as much information as you can immediately following the motorcycle crash.
- Contact A Carlson Law Firm Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer: In a time where it seems like everyone is against you, you’re going to want a team of highly-qualified motorcycle accident injury attorneys on your side.
WHY DO I NEED A KILLEEN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
Insurance companies will routinely deny a Killeen motorcycle accident claim. This is in part because of bias and the preconceived notion that the biker is always at fault. And because it’s just the nature of the insurance business. That nature is insurance companies take in premiums, and the less the payout on claims, the more their profits.
An insurance adjuster will tell you that you don’t need a lawyer, and while in theory, this is correct, in practice it is a huge mistake to try to negotiate a settlement on your own. Most people have no idea the value of their case—and the adjuster will be quick to take advantage. As a motorcycle accident victim, you will probably not receive a fair settlement without a battle. You will need a skillful and aggressive attorney. A Killeen motorcycle accident lawyer from The Carlson Law Firm will make sure that you are adequately compensated for all of your accident-related damages.
An experienced Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer understands the laws surrounding motorcycle crashes. Additionally, our team at The Carlson Law Firm sees the full value of your economic and non-economic damages and will fight on your behalf. Our attorneys have the resources, knowledge, and commitment to recover the best possible outcome for your case.
COMPENSATION AVAILABLE TO VICTIMS OF MOTORCYCLE CRASHES
In negotiations or litigation against an insurance company or negligent party, the attorneys in our Killeen or Temple office may be able to help you recover compensation for the following:
- Past and Future Medical Expenses: Victims can file to receive compensation for emergency visits, hospital care, surgery etc. if the injuries were directly related to the accident.
- Lost Wages: Motorcycle accident victims can claim compensation for wages they could have earned if the accidents hadn’t taken place. Victims can recover compensation for the period of time they had to be away from work to recover.
- Pain and Suffering: As motorcyclists may not be offered PIP insurance, they may file a lawsuit to claim compensation to combat their pain and suffering after the accident. To determine whether the victim requires compensation, factors such as the nature of the injury, along with the duration and extent of pain, will be considered.
- Mental Anguish: Victims and families may also be provided compensation for the emotional pain they had to face after the incident. Emotional suffering includes feelings of fright, embarrassment, nervousness, worry, and grief.
- Loss of Consortium: The surviving spouse may be awarded compensation for the loss of services, assistance, aid, society, and companionship of his or her loved one in the case of a wrongful death caused by a motorcycle accident. Surviving parents may be awarded compensation for the loss of love, affection and companionship of their minor children as a result of their wrongful death. Likewise, minor children may be awarded compensation for the loss of services, assistance, aid, society and companionship of their parents as a result of their wrongful death.
[pdf-embedder url=”http://www.carlsonattorneys.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/How-To-Prevent-A-Motorcycle-Crash.pdf” title=”How To Prevent A Motorcycle Crash”]
HOW A KILLEEN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER AT THE CARLSON LAW FIRM CAN HELP
We are a full-service personal injury law firm. Further, we offer personalized attention and exceptional client service combined with aggressive legal representation to provide help to motorcycle accident victims in Killeen.
At The Carlson Law Firm, we have made it our goal to effectively help clients through their specific and individual circumstances involving motorcycle accident injuries. Additionally, a Killeen Motorcycle Injury Attorney from our firm can pursue just compensation for your injuries. A Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer is available to assist you 24/7. If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us today for a free initial case evaluation with a Killeen Motorcycle Accident Lawyer. Don’t suffer from your bike crash injuries alone.
We care, we can help.