Do’s and Don’ts of Dealing with a Car Accident
Posted By The Carlson Law Firm || 24-Jan-2013
The anxiety and stress associated with an auto accident involving a personal injury may leave you and your loved ones with questions and concerns about what you should do and how to deal with involved insurance companies. While navigating your injury and property damage claims with your insurance and an at-fault party’s insurance company can be confusing, taking the time necessary to heal and seeking adequate medical attention from issues resulting is vital following a collision.
No one plans on being involved in an accident, making the complexities involved even more confusing for some people who choose to deal with the insurance companies involved alone. Dispel some of the common problems and myths associated with auto accidents in Texas and insurance claims associated with the following do’s and don’ts of dealing with a car accident.
The Do’s of Dealing with an Auto Collision
- Seek medical attention for you and any others involved in a collision as soon as possible.
- If possible, move yourself and other occupants to a safe place to avoid a subsequent accident or injuries.
- Gather details, contact information and evidence tied to your accident. Some good information to note includes: insurance and contact information for other parties involved, contact information for authorities on the scene.
- Save any information and receipts related to your medical costs accrued and damages to your vehicles.
The Don’ts of Dealing with a Car Accident
- Admit assumed fault by apologizing. Instead, stick to the facts surrounding the car accident.
- Wait. Get help and advice immediately before important evidence is gone and witness accounts become foggy. In addition, many traffic accidents have time limitations regarding insurance claims and accident law suits.
- Sign any waivers or releases provided by an insurance company or representative without seeking the advice of a personal injury attorney.
- Accept a check without fully understanding your loss, injuries and damages. Some insurance offerings are not always fair but that doesn’t mean your situation is hopeless and you can’t seek the compensation you’re entitled.
Auto Accident Attorneys in Austin
By understanding the basic actions you and your loved ones can take you may be able to avoid some of the common pitfalls that leave many accidents victims without proper medical care and just compensation. While knowing what you should or should not do immediately following a traffic collision, calling a personal injury law firm, specifically experienced with car and truck accidents is vital to protecting you and your family as well as holding negligent parties responsible for carelessness. At The Carlson Law Firm, our car accident attorneys in Austin, San Antonio, Temple, Waco, Killeen, Bryan, Laredo and Round Rock are available 24/7. Call today for a free consultation!
- Written by admin