Girl hit while crossing road on bike in Hewitt
A 12-year-old girl is in critical condition after being hit by a car while riding her bicycle in Hewitt.
According to local authorities, the girl and a second child were attempting to cross Hewitt Drive approximately 25 yards from the intersection of Hewitt Drive and Sun Valley Boulevard when a 1998 blue and tan Ford that was travelling northbound on Hewitt Dr. struck the girl.
The young girl was transported to Baylor Scott and White medical center and later airlifted to McLane Children’s Hospital.
According to Midway ISD, the two girls involved in the incident were sisters, as well as students at Midway Middle School.
The accident is still under investigation by authorities. The intersection was reopened just before 10 p.m.
Despite the responsibility drivers have to watch for bicyclists and pedestrians, there are some things cyclists can do to safeguard themselves and one another while riding in groups.
- Always wear protective and safety gear, including a helmet that coincides with U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Follow the same signals, signs and lights that surrounding vehicles follow.
- When riding at night or as the sun comes up or goes down, use a light and reflectors to make sure drivers can see you.
- Wear bright and reflective clothing and accessories to improve your visibility.
What A Personal Injury Attorney Can Do To Help
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured or killed in a bicycle accident call our bicycle and pedestrian accident attorneys right away. Don’t let another moment pass without an experienced advocate on your side to protect your rights and fight for your recovery. Contact our personal injury attorneys for a free consultation with a Texas pedestrian accident attorney at any of our offices in Austin, San Antonio, Killeen, Waco, Round Rock, Temple, Laredo and Bryan.
We serve accident and injury victims nationwide. Call us today for your free, no obligation consultation. We have bilingual staff members available to assist our Spanish-speaking clients. Se habla español.
- Written by Jill Fowler