Man Killed in Comanche, Texas Firework Accident, Three Injured
A local chiropractor was killed Thursday morning as he helped a small town prepare for their Fourth of July fireworks show in Comanche, Texas, officials reported.
The man who was killed in the Texas firework accident was identified as Dr. Russell Reynolds. According to reports, Reynolds helped created the fireworks show more than 25 years ago.
The Kiwanis Club was also helping with the fireworks show, officials reported.
Three additional people were also injured in the fireworks accident in Comanche.
Police said Reynolds was pronounced dead at the scene of the firework incident. The event was canceled as a result of the tragic accident. The three people who were injured in the accident were transported for treatment for firework burn injuries they endured.
Firework Injury Statistics
In 2013 alone, more than 11,400 injuries involving fireworks were reported, filling emergency rooms with people seeking treatment as a result of burns and other firework injuries, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Hands and fingers were the most often injured body parts, accounting for more than 40 percent of injuries reported. Although some firework accidents result in minor injuries that merely require emergency room treatment, over 15 percent of firework injuries are more serious, resulting in extensive hospital visits and treatment at multiple facilities.
Firework Safety Tips
The CPSC suggests some of the following tips for firework safety in an effort to prevent related injuries and burns involving the use of fireworks and Fourth of July activities.
Children are often the victims of firework accidents because of unsupervised use or lack of safety knowledge. Sixteen percent of those injured in firework incidents are under the age of 9, the CPSC reports. CPSC suggests that those celebrating the 4th of July with fireworks keep the following tips in mind:
- Light fireworks one at a time to allow for anyone nearby to back up and allow adequate reaction
- Never re-light fireworks should they not light correctly the first time
- Keep water nearby
- Don’t allow children to play with fireworks
- Written by admin