New Years: The Most Dangerous Day on the Road
Posted By The Carlson Law Firm || 26-Dec-2012
New Years Day is ranked as one of the most deadly for drivers and passengers frequenting roads and interstates across the nation, a recent report by AAA revealed. Heavy travel associated with vacationers heading home after celebrating the holidays combined with excessive alcohol creates risks for serious injuries caused by Texas auto accidents.
Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
In 2010 alone, more than 10,000 people were killed in alcohol related collision, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While the number of people killed in preventable drunk driving accidents is shocking, the number accounts for more than 31 percent of all traffic fatalities, a percentage that could be reduced easily with safer driving practices when alcohol consumption is taking place.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provided the following DWI Accident statistics:
- Every single day, as many as 30 people are killed in traffic accidents involving alcohol.
- Every 48 minutes an alcohol related accidents claims a life.
- 28 percent of motorcycle fatalities involved alcohol levels of 0.08% or higher.
Top 5 Tips for Safe Driving on New Years and All Year Long
So what can drivers, passengers and party-goers do to protect themselves and each other from the serious repercussions associated with drunk driving accidents? Take a look at some of the following tips provided by the CDC.
- Arrange a designated driver prior to going out or attending a party. It can be more difficult to exercise clear judgment regarding whether or not you’re safe to drive if you start considering options after you’ve started drinking.
- Explore all your options prior. If you’re with a group of people who are all drinking, arm yourselves with the number for a cab company prior to arriving at your destination.
- As the host of a party where alcohol is being served, discuss whether or not your guests have sober drivers arranged and provide numbers for local taxi services. In addition, it can be helpful to offer non-alcoholic beverages for designated drivers attending your gathering.
- Offer guests who may have had too much to drink a place to sleep for the night.
- If you suspect a friend has had too much alcohol to drink, don’t ride with them and make every effort possible to keep them from behind the wheel.
Even if you’ve arranged for safe transportation or abstained from alcohol consumption, knowing what to look for while driving home is also helpful for keeping you and your passengers safe. Weaving vehicles, drivers operating a vehicle slowly or fast as well as drivers not adhering to traffic signals are all just some of the potential signs of impairment. While not all vehicles may display signs of impaired driving, taking care when driving near vehicles exhibiting some of the aforementioned signs can help you drive defensively and possible protect you and your passengers from a drunk driving accident.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in San Antonio, Tx
If you’ve been injured in a drunk driving accident, call our drunk driving accident attorneys in San Antonio and across the state at 800-359-5690, contact our San Antonio DWI accident lawyers online or visit any of the 10 locations for our drunk driving accident law firm in Bexar County and across Texas. We care. We can help.
- Written by admin