skip to Main Content
Call 800-359-5690 for a FREE Consultation

The deadline to file a Camp Lejeune claim is quickly approaching. Affected parties have until August 2024 to ensure they get the justice they deserve. You can speak to a Camp Lejeune lawyer at 800-359-5690 free of charge. 

If you or your family were at Camp Lejeune, these are the steps you’ll need to take to file a lawsuit :

1. Gather Documents that Prove You Were at Camp Lejeune

First, prepare your documentation to prove you were at Camp Lejeune between Aug. 1, 1953 and Dec. 31, 1987. Valid proof of your presence can be established through military records, work documents, affidavits, or other forms of documentation that verify your stay during the specified period.

2. Consult with a Lawyer

Before moving forward, consulting a lawyer with extensive experience handling toxic torts—particularly water contamination cases— is wise. A lawyer can guide you through the following steps to ensure your claim pays out. Our legal team will verify that you have the necessary documentation and advise you on presenting your case in the best possible way. Additionally, a Camp Lejeune lawyer can assist in presenting the initial claim and advise on actions to take if a claim is denied.

3. Document Your Illness

With the help of your attorney, it is essential to secure medical records demonstrating that you or a family member has suffered from one of the illnesses presumed to be linked to the water contamination at Camp Lejeune. Having robust medical documentation is vital in supporting your claim.

4. File a VA Claim

Initiate your claim with the Veterans Affairs (VA) by utilizing one of the following methods:

  • Filing online via the website
  • Seeking the assistance of a Veterans Service Officer (VSO)
  • Visiting a VA Regional Office for guidance and assistance in filing your claim

5. Wait for the VA’s Decision

After filing your claim, there will be a waiting period for the VA to process and complete it. It’s best to file as soon as possible, as this waiting period can take several months. 

6. Proceed with Legal Action if Necessary

If the VA denies your claim, it’s time to take legal action. With the help of your chosen lawyer, proceed to file a lawsuit in the federal court in the Eastern District of North Carolina. Ensure that the lawyer you choose is trustworthy, with strong client reviews. Most lawyers offer free consultations; you shouldn’t have to pay for an initial consultation. Your lawyer will guide you on the next steps and represent you in court to ensure your case is strongly presented.

A Camp Lejeune lawyer can help you determine the documentation you need to file a claim.

Should I Hire a Lawyer for Filing a Camp Lejeune Claim?

While you don’t need an attorney to file a claim, hiring an attorney may mean a larger payout depending on the circumstances and the extent of your injuries. The quick payout option presented to veterans and their family members is a quick and cheap way to settle thousands of cases. It’s important to consult with a Camp Lejeune attorney as soon as you begin to suspect that an illness you developed or were born with is the result of time spent at Camp Lejeune. 

Back To Top