Newer vehicle models have the advantage of many safety features, including the safety feature that…
The holiday season is approaching, and besides spending time with family and friends, we are doing another type of spending: spending time and money looking for the perfect gift for the people we love the most. While the little young ones are busy writing their letters to Santa, you might be wondering what’s on their holiday toy list this upcoming holiday season.
With COVID affecting our everyday activities, families are looking for ways to keep their children engaged while socially distancing at home and are relying on manufacturers now more than ever to make sure their children’s toys are designed with safety as their main priority.
There are an estimated 240,000 toy-related injuries to children each year, and a child is brought to the emergency room every three minutes for a toy-related injury. With parents looking for ways to keep children occupied during the coronavirus pandemic, toy safety awareness is critical to ensure the child’s safety.
As you are getting ready to fill your online cart with gifts, we want to warn you about some dangerous items you should avoid this holiday season. The toys listed are some of the items recently recalled by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Some of the toys that you may want to avoid gifting this holiday season includes:
- Morfboards Skate & Scoot Scooters– The “Y” handlebar joint on the scooter can break, posing a fall hazard.
- Super Soaker XP 20 and XP 30 Water Blasters: Hasbro issued a recall with these products because the decorative sticker on the water tank may contain levels of lead exceeding regulatory amounts.
- Little Helper’s children’s grocery shopping carts: Step2 recalled this set because the cart’s basket and break into sharp pieces, posing an injury hazard. If sufficiently small pieces break off, this could also pose a choking hazard for young children.
Additionally to the products from above, you can find a list of other recently recalled items here. Check the list to see if your items are still safe.
Dangerous Toy List of 2020
In addition to the toys from above, World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H) has listed their “worst toys of 2020”. W.A.T.C.H is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public of possible dangerous children’s toys and products and protecting children from harm. Their goal is to prevent as many toy-related injuries as possible. According to W.A.T.C.H., the following toys are on the naughty list:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends. Potential choking hazards.
- Missile Launcher. Potential for eye and facial injuries.
- Marvel Avengers Vibranium Power FX Claw. Potential for eye and facial injuries.
- Gloria Owl. Potential for ingestion.
- WWE Jumbo Superstar Fists. Potential for blunt force and impact injuries.
- Sci-Fi Slime. Potential for chemical-related injuries.
- Boomerang Interactive Stunt UFO. Potential for propellor-related injury.
- Boom City Racers. Potential for eye and facial injuries.
- My Sweet Love Lots of Love Babies Minis. Potential choking hazard.
- Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber. Potential for blunt force and eye injuries.
However, parents are the best judgment when determining what a dangerous toy for their own child is. Although these products may seem harmless, parents and caregivers should carefully weigh the risk of injuries. Now that we got all the toys you might want to avoid this season, we have outlined what toys are being favored this holiday season.
Hottest Toy List of 2020
The following list includes gifts that are hot for the upcoming cold weather:
Star wars The Child Animatronic Edition
(Baby Yoda) Are you or your child a star wars fan? Have you all been binge-watching The Mandalorian? If so, this is the cutest gift that you can get! The Child moves its head, ears and opens and closes its eyes. Suggested age: 5 years and up
VTech KidiZoom Creator Cam
For those of you who have young children that like to scream out the words “like and subscribe!”, this is the perfect gift. This video camera is a perfect gift for those kids who love to create awesome videos. The high-definition video camera includes a tripod and a video camera. Suggested age: 5 years and up
Skyrocket Real Cooking Chocolate Pen
Drawing and baking creations are already fun, but when you add a chocolate pen that allows you to do so much at the touch of a button, it changes the game. This new kid-friendly design loads up chocolate that allows kid chefs to draw their own shapes and create their own creations that can be added to cupcakes, cookies, or anything else to satisfy that sweet tooth! .Suggested age: 6 years and up
Nintendo Switch Lite
If you were one of the few that got a hold of a Nintendo Switch this past year, you were one of the lucky ones. With the hit of the pandemic, the Nintendo Switch consoles were sold out for many weeks. If you have a chance to get one in your hands this holiday season, don’t hesitate! The Switch Lite is smaller and cheaper than the first version, making it an awesome gift for any kid into gaming.
Little Live Gotta Go Flamingo
Has your child been asking for a real live pet? If you don’t believe that they are ready for the real thing, the best practice would be this Little Love Gotta Go Flamingo. This interactive pink Flamingo loves to sing, talk, wiggle, eat, and poop.
Genius Starter Kit for iPad
Turn your child’s iPad or Amazon Fire into a new learning activity that will get their brain juices flowing. The games in this kit include games that will teach them how to code, spell, and more while combining fun and learning.
The Carlson Law Firm
Unfortunately, thousands of children are injured every year due to playing with unsafe or non-age-appropriate toys. At The Carlson Law Firm, we want everyone to have a safe holiday season. If you or a loved one has been injured by a dangerous toy, contact us today to speak to one of our child injury lawyer.