How To Choose The Best Motorcycle Crash Lawyer
An unfortunate reality is that many drivers with little knowledge of how to operate a motorcycle know how to safely share the road. All too often, motorcycle crashes are the result of passenger or commercial vehicle drivers failing to recognize motorcyclists or refusing to respect their rights. These preventable collisions often leave the motorcyclist severely injured and unable to work because of the catastrophic injuries sustained.
If you have been injured while riding due to another’s reckless driving, you could be entitled to financial compensation for your losses. Our goal is to help you avoid the stressful situation of filing a claim and avoid having to deal with the obstacles along the way on your own. Our compassionate team recognizes that as the victim of the situation, your only job is to get better. To assist you in your recovery, we have compiled a list of tips to help ease your mind as you seek legal guidance. Make a note of the following tips to ensure you hire the best Motorcycle Crash Lawyer. Doing so will help you be successful in recovering fair compensation for your undeserved losses and ensure you are getting the medical treatment that you require to recover and get you back on your bike.
1. Start looking immediately. The state of Texas has a Statute of Limitations of two years. This means you must file a claim within two years of the collision or you give up your right to sue forever.
Another reason why you should not hesitate seeking legal representation is because of the evidence itself. Evidence can disappear quickly when it comes to motorcycle cases which makes proving fault and liability almost impossible.
Furthermore, insurance companies will use any wasted time as ammunition to undervalue your claim. The longer you wait to take action, the tougher it will be to recover the damages you are seeking.
2. Take time to do your research. Don’t go with the first option Google displays on your screen. Just because someone is an attorney, does not make them an expert in all areas of law. For example, if you develop a severe rash, you are not going to choose to see a cardiologist who is an expert on the heart. You will want to get diagnosed by a dermatologist who is an expert on skin, right?
Choosing the right attorney is not much different, and in your case, you want to seek a Motorcycle Crash Lawyer.
3. Experience. A good indicator of how much experience an attorney has is the number of years they have been in practice. Why is experience important in such cases? Motorcycle crash cases present unique challenges in overcoming the stigma some people associate with a motorcyclist. The experience a motorcycle crash attorney has will be key in determining how to proceed with your motorcycle crash case to get the best possible results.
4. Discuss their plan. Remember that the initial consultation with your potential attorney is not only beneficial for them to evaluate your case. Itis the time to take the opportunity and ask as many questions as you can think of yourself. Ask what their plan is with your case if you choose to hire them. What direction do they want to take it? What are the benefits for you? How confident are they in your case? You will be able to get a sense of their communication skills which will be imperative when it comes to negotiating with the insurance companies.
5. Discuss payment. It is critical that you understand how the lawyer will get paid if you choose to hire him or her as well as understanding the formula that will be used to determine the percentage of the settlement amount that can make up for financial losses.
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis which means they will only get paid if they obtain a settlement on your behalf. The determining factor of how much of the total settlement amount will actually end up in your account will depend on the percentage they will charge. To avoid last minute surprises, review the paperwork that discusses payment in detail.
6. Trust your instincts. Last but certainly not least, go with your gut. Be certain you feel the lawyer you are meeting with genuinely cares about your recovery and the outcome of your case. Don’t settle for someone who you do not feel is the Best Motorcycle Crash Lawyer for your case.
Can I handle filing a motorcycle crash claim on my own?
The injuries, trauma, missed time from work, and the pile of medical bills are difficult enough to deal with; you don’t need the added stress of going back and forth with insurance companies. Even if you are in pain and misery because of another’s recklessness, the insurance company will still look for any opportunity to make you look as if you did something wrong. Additionally, they have a team of attorneys working to build a case around why you are unworthy of compensation. This amount of stress could make anyone believe that the easiest thing to do is settle with the insurance company before seeking legal representation. Don’t make this critical mistake. Failing to seek legal representation can leave you in an agonizing situation surrounded by debt due to unresolved medical expenses. Without the proper financial resources to pay for medical treatment, you could be left in pain due to worsening, untreated injuries.
Motorcycle collisions can get complicated and will often require a thorough investigation to prove fault. Finding a law firm that has private investigators on staff will be beneficial to you. To help build your case, a lawyer will also help you with the following:
• Collect scene and police reports
• Gather witness statements
• Deal with the hassle of complex paperwork
• Investigate the defendant’s driving history
• Review medical records
• Standing up to insurance companies
How The Carlson Law Firm can help
Here at The Carlson Law Firm, our compassionate Motorcycle Crash Lawyers understand the bias motorcyclists have to overcome when dealing with insurance companies. We have extensive experience advocating the rights of motorcyclists. Not only will we fight for maximum compensation, but we will use our resources to ensure you are receiving the medical treatment needed to recover from your injuries.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation. We care, we can help.
- Written by Adriana Torres