Update – July 24, 2020
The Food and Drug Administration is now recalling 75 brands of toxic hand sanitizers. The agency says these products can make consumers sick and cause death if ingested.
At least 11 people have died and more two dozen have been hospitalized after drinking contaminated hand sanitizer. The high demand of santizers with the COVID-19 pandemic has flooded the market with products. Many of the recalled brands are foreign-made and do not have quality or safe ingredients.
Recalled brands were sold at major retailers like Costco, Walmart and CVS. For a complete list of products recalled, visit the FDA’s website.
FDA Expands List of Potentially Toxic Hand Sanitizers
On July 2, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration expanded its warning to consumers to avoid additional toxic hand sanitizer products made in Mexico. The warning states these toxic hand sanitizers may contain methanol, or wood alcohol, which can be toxic if absorbed through the skin or ingested.
Initially, on June 17, the FDA contacted Eskbiochem to recommend the company remove its hand sanitizer products from the market because of the high risks of methanol poisoning. To date, the company has not taken action to remove these potentially dangerous products from the market. Because of the company’s lack of action, the FDA issued its warning on June 19.
On July 2, 2020, the agency warned of methanol contamination to the following hand sanitizers:
- Bio aaa Advance Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 76987-402-01)
- LumiSkin Advance Hand Sanitizer 4 oz (NDC: 76987-120-01)
- LumiSkin Advance Hand Sanitizer 16 oz (NDC: 76987-402-02)
- QualitaMed Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 76987-250-01)
- Hand sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol (NDCs: 75744-0200-3, 75744-0200-4, 75744-0201-5, 75744-0202-1, 75744-0250-1, 75744-0250-2, 75744-0500-1, 75744-1000-1, 75744-1000-3, 75744-1001-1)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV (Mexico) – Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free (NDCs: 75165-003-02, 75165-004-01, 75165-005-01, 75165-006-01, 75165-008-01, 75165-250-01, 75165-600-01)
- Soluciones Cosmeticas SA de CV (Mexico) – Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution hand sanitizer (No NDC listed)
- Mystic Shield Protection hand sanitizer (NDCs 75477-435-02, 75477-435-10, 75477-435-12, 75477-435-25, 75477-435-50, 75477-534-10)
The following are the original nine toxic hand sanitizers the FDA is warning consumers to avoid:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
In a press release, the FDA says that it tested samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ. The agency found that Lavar Gel contains 81% methanol and no ethyl alcohol and CleanCare No germ contains 28% methanol.
Methanol should never be used in hand sanitizers because of its toxicity.
What should I do if I’ve been exposed to toxic hand sanitizer containing methanol?
First, if you have used any of the above hand sanitizers, seek medical treatment. The effects of methanol poisoning can be reversed if medical treatment is administered.
Second, immediately dispose of any hand sanitizers containing any amount of methanol.
Third, read the ingredient label on any hand sanitizer you purchase. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% ethanol.
How do I know if I have methanol poisoning?
Methanol is a toxic alcohol that has industrially uses as a solvent, pesticide and fuel source. According to the CDC, methanol poisoning may not become apparent until after an asymptomatic period of 1 to 72 hours after exposure.
What are the short term exposure effects (8 hours) of methanol poisoning?
Accumulation of methanol in the blood can lead to blindness and death. Other effects of methanol poisoning include the following:
- Reduced level of consciousness
- Inability to coordinate muscle movement
- Heart and respiratory failure
If you experience any of the above, it is important to seek medical attention right away.
The Carlson Law Firm Can Help
If you’ve suffered injuries as a result of toxic hand sanitizers, contact The Carlson Law Firm. We will investigate your claim and determine if you can be compensated for medical treatment, loss of income and other damages.
Find a personal injury lawyer near me.