It’s every parent’s worst nightmare. That dreaded phone call from a child care facility saying your child has been injured. Unfortunately, this is a terrifying reality for many parents. The facilities we trust our children to, such as daycares, after-school programs, and camps, aren’t providing the quality of care they are required, and children are being hurt because of this negligence.
Daycare workers are responsible for the care of all the children in their charge. When they fail to maintain a reasonable level of care, they are acting negligently and can be held legally liable for their actions. If your child has suffered harm at the hands of a child care employee, whether it be physical abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse or child neglect, we may be able to help you fight for the justice you and your children so rightly deserve.
While any potential criminal charges will be handled by law enforcement, your family also has the option of filing a civil lawsuit against the abuser and/or their employer in order to hold the childcare facility financially responsible for their actions. You may be able to recover compensation for things such as medical bills, therapy, alternative childcare expenses, and more.
Because there may be time limitations on how long you have to file a claim or lawsuit, you’ll want to contact a daycare abuse law firm as soon as possible. Don’t wait until you are sure that you want to sue; it may actually be too late by the time you do so.
Types of Daycare Abuse and Neglect
We understand how emotionally challenging these types of cases can be, which is where we come in. Our experienced daycare abuse attorneys handle cases involving all different types of daycare accidents, including the following:
Lack of supervision is the single greatest cause of daycare injuries. Often the supervision itself is caused by inadequate staffing. If there are not enough adults watching a group of children than it is far more likely that one of the children will get into trouble and unintentionally injure themselves.
Many times daycare negligence goes unnoticed until it’s too late. State and federal laws exist which prescribe standards that must be followed by all of these facilities and institutions. This includes removing known dangers, providing proper oversight, and maintaining appropriate caregiving items in case of emergency.
Signs of Daycare Abuse and Neglect To Watch Out For
Daycare abuse can easily go unnoticed, which is why knowing exactly what to look for can help you to identify a problem early on before it’s too late.
- Your child is always hungry or thirsty when they leave daycare.
- Your child has unexplained bruises, welts, scratches or other injuries.
- Your child has recurring nightmares or night terrors.
- Your child begins to display aggressive behaviors.
- Your child regresses to infantile behavior or clinging.
- Your child is sent home with a soiled diaper, or has long-lasting diaper rashes.
- Your child begins to act withdrawn or reclusive.
- Your child starts acting out in social situations.
- Your child begins to have an unusual interest in sexual behaviors.
- Your child develops a urinary tract infection or complains of soreness around the genitals.
- Your child develops a fear of certain places, people, or activities; an excessive fear of going to daycare.
- If your daycare has surveillance cameras set up in the facility, be sure you always have access to view the footage. If the surveillance cameras are always “down” when you ask to see them, this could be an indication of abuse or neglect.
The Carlson Difference
Most personal injury firms are made up of individual lawyers. They may get help from others, such as field experts or investigators, but it’s not often that they keep those resources in-house. The Carlson Law Firm maintains a team of professionals that includes more than 40 experienced lawyers, as well as full-time registered nurses and three investigators.
Along with our in-house staff, we also have strong relationships with other experts, as well as photographers and videographers who help document the evidence you need. Establishing negligence is key to the success of any case, and we have more than enough skill and resources to do just that. Our firm has over 40 years of experience and runs like a machine – efficiently and effectively. We are available to speak with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
There's a Carlson Law Firm Near You
With 12 locations throughout Texas, there’s a Carlson Law Firm near you. We have law offices located in Killeen, Temple, Waco, Round Rock, Austin, San Antonio, Laredo, Bryan, Lubbock, and Corpus Christi.