Assault And Battery Defense Lawyers
Skilled Assault And Battery Defense Attorneys
Free Consultations – Available 24/7
Assault and battery are among the most common violent crimes with which defendants are charged. If you have been accused of Assault or Battery, one of our attorneys from The Carlson Law Firm is prepared to provide you with the defense you need. Depending on the seriousness of the charge, your penalties can range from minor to very severe. If you have been arrested for such charges, it is important to get the help of an attorney who knows how to handle criminal offenses.
What Is Assault?
Texas law defines assault as intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:
- Causing bodily injury to another person, including the person’s spouse;
- Threatening someone with imminent bodily injury, including the person’s spouse; or
- Causing physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
What Is Battery?
Battery, by contrast, is a charge of actual, harmful physical touching. There is no particular severity of harm required to qualify as battery, though many states and localities have an “aggravated battery” statute to cover particularly severe cases.
Penalties for Assault in Texas
While a first-time simple assault charge might not result in a prison sentence, most convictions will include jail time.
The specific sentence will be determined by a number of factors, including:
- Your past criminal history, if any
- The laws of your jurisdiction
- The severity of the incident in question
- The quality of your legal representation
If a deadly weapon was used, the penalties will likely be much higher. The stakes significantly rise and you could even face second-degree felony charges for this act.
How The Carlson Law Firm Can Help You
Our firm has private investigators on staff who can work toward finding a solution to your problem. If the state’s evidence does not represent what we have discovered, our lawyers will bring the truth to light. Our criminal defense lawyers examine every possible angle to ensure that your rights are protected. Contact our firm today for a free case evaluation. We serve clients in Bell, Coryell and Lampasas Counties. We have offices located in Killeen, Temple and Waco.